Sunday 22 September 2024

Burton Albion 1-2 BFC, Saturday 21st September 2024

‘They’re not letting pies in? You’re kidding me!’
Another poor performance, another victory. I love division 3. Win our next home game and we’ll be on 16 points after 8 games. 2 points a game. Top 2 form in most seasons, and we’ve barely gelled. On Satdy we went in at half-time a goal to the good despite barely being in their half. I’m surprised the fans weren’t singing ‘are we Lincoln away in disguise?’ In the end, we concede late, score the winner later and it’s pandemonium in the away end. A bit like Millwall away the other season, when that faceless (Austrian?) centre forward scored the winner, the one I always said was crap. (He was.)

Of course, if you want to win games, scoring a 2nd...or a 3rd...might help, and the way we tossed away chances in the second half made it look like we were happy to squeak through. The more Burton desperately searched for an equaliser, the more we were left 3 on 3, 2 on 2...and in not taking our chances on the break, we nearly paid the price.

That we went ahead was thanks to a 30 yard free kick from Connell. I’m not sure we can rely on that every week. It was a good hit, low into the corner, but would I be accepting that from our keeper? Not a chance. Their best (half) chances came in the opening half hour as Roberts managed to blunder once, twice...thrice times. He really is a liability with the ball at his feet. If I were the opposition, I wouldn’t even bother hitting it into space, just look for Roberts on the floor. My God, he’s meant to be the experienced hand bringing calmness and solidity to our backline, not chaos and calamity. I wouldn’t mind if he was domineering in the air, but was that Roberts that their bloke ghosted past to head in the equaliser? (Answer: yes.)

Still, it was a peach of a cross. But with 2 minutes left (plus injury time) it looked like we’d thrown it away. Not that Burton didn’t deserve it. They’d pressed heavily that last 10 minutes, as well as the opening half. So we took a leaf out of their book and replied in IDENTICAL fashion...a right footed in-swinger from the left wing back (O’Keefe). Only our centre forward (Humphreys) has to work harder for it, dominating their centre half to head home. Why doesn’t Cosgrove do this? Or Watters? Win a header in THEIR box?

Humphreys thereafter shows his true class by miscontrolling a ball 10 yards when clean through, but by then it was pelting it down. That’s fine though. One of us has left his rainjacket in the car but has his sunglasses with him. Still, it’s a beautiful day...(am I coming over all U2?).

Onwards and upwards!

*** Cotter. Ran at people, beat people, got crosses in. It didn’t always work, but I’d say he’s earnt the right to lose a ball he’s carried 50 yards up the pitch.
** (My Name is) Earl. Strong at the back and enjoyed a run of his own.
* De Givigny. If you’re in a back 3 with Roberts, you need to be on top of your game.

Londontykes’ MOTM: 1. Cotter 2. Earl 3= Connell / De Givigny

Despatches: Mr Tickle is right. Connell’s ability to draw a foul and slow the game down IS underrated...cos I don’t see it. I didn’t think Connell did owt aside from score. Bafflingly anonymous, aside from when he bore down on their goal 2nd half, ignored the overlapping wingback (O’Keefe by that point?), who’d have been clean through, to put his greedy glasses on and send a shot wide. That’s the second time this season I’ve seen him ignore an overtaking wingback who’s in a far superior position. Lots of space, a simple pass to make. Season before last, Connell was my favourite player. He’s not been the same since. Will we ever get him back? (Is he the new Woodrow? ‘Off form’ for TWO years.

DKD...superb debut and done nowt since. Brought out a conversation on players who’ve done same. Great start, turned out to be rubbish. I can’t remember which player was mentioned, but the one who stands out for me was a B. Dire. Was Sunderland away his debut? He was amazing. I spent the next 5 years (sorry, 25 years) cursing the day, etc. Anyway, DKD. Anonymous. I never saw him last week at Stevenage, but those who were there didn’t either. Honestly, I didn’t realise he was playing till I saw him trot back to help defend a corner.

The rest? Not worth a mention. O’Keefe was a having a bit of a mare at left back, 1st half…but HE’S NOT A LEFT WINGBACK. I am sick of going on about this. Left back and right back are NOT the same. Managers ought to get their heads around this. The best left backs are LEFT footed. Cadden got brickbats for having a poor ‘cross completion rate’ (WTF!?) last season but a) he got crosses in and b) it wasn’t his fault Cole et al hid behind defenders and wouldn’t break to the front post. Now, there’s nary a cross put in (so it’s ironic that’s how we got the winner).

Oh, Benson’s hair came on as sub. I love his hair. I wish I had a full head of the stuff like him. He looked alright, again. Jalo, meantime, came on and got broken by an opposition arm. He was virtually clothes-lined, like something out of Wrestlemania. Not even a free kick, let alone a card.

Still, another great day. Met up with Reedy, Nozzer and Special Guest Ozzy at The Last Heretic, before dragging them to a micro brewery under the railway arches that had a blackboard out advertising itself. Sat outside, sun blazing, beer in hand, the football not yet kicked off. Lapping up the last of the summer vibes.

Drink du jour: Thornbridge Crux IPA in The Last Heretic; Tasted weirdly of ginger to me. Thornbridge Astryd at Outwoods Brewing Company. OK, I s’pose. (Will I ever get that gig reviewing beer?)

Away: 1,161. First time (I think) we’ve never sold out here. Still 2 away games in a row (scored 0, conceded 10) can’t have helped. Youse missed a treat (ish).

The Damage:
£18 ent
c.£35 petrol
= c.£53

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...