Monday, 24 August 2026

Manchester City 2-1 AFC Bournemouth, Sunday 23rd August 2026

***having probs uploading pics

Manchester City 2-1 AFC Bournemouth, Premiership, Etihad Stadium, att. 60,645

While the cat’s away, the mouse can do whatever the hell he likes. And so it is, with my partner away on business (Brussels, since you wonder), I am free to fill my entire weekend up with football. And from the depths of Market Harborough yesterday, I am at the heights of the Premiership today, Man City to be precise. A pity my partner is away, actually, as she’d have definitely fancied this. (She doesn’t do non-league; or, indeed, any division below Norwich City.)

It’s the opening season of the Premiership/Premier League (I can’t be bothered to tell the difference) and I’m lucky in that a Bournemouth away game is the one Premiership ticket I can get hold of. Credit to them for letting me and others register for tickets. My account tells me I now have 2 points, including Everton away last season. The way I see it, it’s a two-way relationship; groundhoppers and other football fans get to see a top division game, while Bournemouth get to fill out their away end. (I was in the top tier and it wasn’t full, but the lower two tiers were.) Plus, as an away fan, tickets are capped at 30 quid. Bargain! (Ish.)

I arrive early in Manchester. My plan was to have a snout around the record shops 1st, but I’ve arrived still in a foul mood from nearly missing the train due to my coffee taking too long to make. Yeah, yeah, 1st world problems. So anyway, I’m not in the mood and after browsing the shelves of Piccadilly Records with no great enthusiasm, I head back to the Piccadilly Tap to have a wheat beer, the name of which escapes me, before my walk to the Etihad. And one great thing about the Etihad is that the walk is glorious, provided you go via the Ashton Canal. That’s easily 90% of the journey right there.

I’ve been before, but I’m not so familiar with where the away end is. Some signs would be nice, especially as loads of us cross the bridge from the direction of the canal. Turns out I go the wrong way to begin with, before asking a steward. Then I have to fight through dense crowds around ¾ of the stadium. Why’s it not quicker/allowed to go the shorter route?

I’ve been a bit paranoid whether they’ll let me in with a tote bag larger than the approved A4 size, so I carry my newspaper in my hand while putting said tote in my back pocket. You can never be too careful with these larger stadia, and Manchester in particular is more ‘careful’ than most after the Manchester Arena bombing in 2017.

Then it’s up the stairs to the 3rd (top) tier. I am pleased to find my seat is relatively low down in this stand, though the back half is empty anyway. Half an hour to kick-off is unheard of for me, so I’m pleased I have something to read. Mind, my ticket advises getting here ‘not less than an hour before kick-off.’ Eh!? Get there early and you can also treat yourselves to mindless interviews with assorted City alumni via their in-house comms team. Can’t they just play music? (Actually, when they do, it’s great, including Mancunian staples like 808 State and New Order.)

Something else I’m not used to, supporting a 3rd division side and also seeing lots of non-league…fireworks greeting the teams upon entrance. Is this EVERY Man City game? Every Premiership game? I don’t know. But me and the other children enjoyed it. The wait is over and I can finally see a game of football.

And, actually, it’s a very good game. City dominate possession, but it doesn’t quite run for them in front of goal and the Cherries score a fine breakaway goal on 26 minutes through Tavernier. And then that’s it for nearly an hour of play. The home side huff and puff but look like getting nowhere till Cherki (and Grealish) come on as subs. The former is instrumental in taking the game to Bournemouth but the equaliser comes via a deadball, Guehi heading in a corner after earlier heading wide when presented with an open goal. There’s still 6 minutes to go (plus injury time) and it’s now all City.

Inevitably, the winner comes. 90+1 and Cherki threads a cheeky ball through to Gvardiol (what’s HE doing in the box?) and he rolls it into the bottom corner. The City fans go wild and as I’m about half a dozen seats from them, I’m hoping they don’t start baiting ME. But what’s this? Offside! It is the Cherries’ fans turn to dish it out to the adjacent home fans. And then I get to enjoy the full Premiership experience as we wait for the Video Assistant Referee. How long did it take? 5 minutes? The result is in. City fans start celebrating before it’s even announced on the scoreboard. Maybe they know to look at the referee? Anyway, all that baiting comes back again. I stand my ground, impassive.

And that’s it. Bournemouth, having led for two-thirds of the game, are beaten. There is stunned silence in the away end, and as we join the City throng on the mass march down the road to Piccadilly, you can spot the Cherries, staggering along like zombies while various City fans apologise for their luck. On such games are champions made.

The Damage:
£30 ent
£3 admin
£14.40 train
= £47.40

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...