Sunday, 2 August 2026

Tadcaster Albion 1-1 Thackley, Saturday 1st August 2026

Tadcaster Albion 1-1 Thackley, Northern Counties East Premier Division, Young Guns Arena (Ings Lane), att. 289

My tickets for Gladiator (the TV show) haven’t come through, so I’m free today. I could go uber local to Golcar (still haven’t been) but given it’s such a nice day, surely this demands a drive out. I narrow it down to two, Bottesford or Tadcaster. However, the former looks a modern and minimal ‘stadium’, while the latter place I’ve passed through and thought ‘that looks a bit of alright.’ Taddy it is.

Tadcaster, an old coaching stop inbetween York and Leeds, is a beautiful little place chocker full of old buildings in its centre and dominated by the vast John Smiths Brewery which dwarves everything else in sight, sound and smell. With Samuel Smiths old brewery in town too, no wonder Tadcaster Albion are known as The Brewers.

Sadly, Satdy afternoon appears to be some kind of deadzone in Tadcaster. Barely anyone walking the streets and most shops shut. I’d expected a treasure trove in quality charity shops, but the shops that did exist wanted to sell me fishing rods, posh frocks, or a bicycle (at least that shop was open). In short, there was nothing that interested me, though I may have a had a look at the vintage fair in Riley-Hall were they not wanting to charge me 2 pounds for the pleasure. Paying to have the chance to buy something? Eh? A branch of Costa Coffee had opened and closed down. Tadcaster in a nutshell. Nice enough that a coffee shop would open, not busy enough for it to remain open.

I’d parked up about 100 metres from the ground, within sight of the stadium’s entrance. Adjacent, other cars parked in slots meant for delivery lorries (presumably from the brewery), so something else that was shut this Satdy. Still, it was good to see ‘TADCASTER ALBION AFC’ proudly displayed. ‘Welcome to the Young Guns Arena’. Welcome indeed. As I walked towards the turnstile, a player, in full kit, legged it past. ‘Forgot my shinpads!’ he exclaimed to the bemused stewards. I hope they charged him to get back in.

I am flabbergasted to find it’s 9 quid entry. This is the 9th tier of English football. By comparison, I think Worsbrough (same level) is £7. I then query my change for my pint of Birra Moretti at the bar, but no, it really is £6.50. The pie and peas at £5.50 might be almost reasonable (loads of peas!) but the crust was rock hard. All in all, not good value.

Still, the ground has its charms. The social club, immediately to the right as you enter, is sizeable and cosy, and you can see the pitch through the windows. There are then a couple of terraced paddocks either side of the players’ tunnel. I take advantage of the roof of the latter to enjoy the shade, eating and drinking. And even though I can’t see the far left corner of the pitch, I stay here for most of the 1st half. Taddy are on top and the action doesn’t often reach the Thackley left wing.

The Brewers are a goal up early, a corner being flicked in. I feel quite smug, as I’ve yet to purchase my pie and peas. The celebrations give me my opportunity (well done on providing mint sauce, btw) and two minutes later I’m back, trying to hammer my way through rock hard crust with a wooden fork.

Most of what I take to be a sparse crowd (I’m surprised to hear it given as 289 later) is stood on this side. I give it half an hour, then go for a walk around. Behind the right hand goal is a small stand containing around 80 seats. It is empty. An even smaller stand, but for standing, holds two steps and two whole people on the far touchline. Like a slightly large bus shelter, very welcome on wetter days. Otherwise, this touchline, hemmed in by trees, is flat standing.

I arrive behind the other goal, where Taddy’s largest stand lies, a cantilever with 3 or 4 rows of seats running most of the pitch’s width. I only intend to -have a half-time sit down. I stay for the rest of the match. Partly this is the expectation, after the opening half, that most of the action will be at this end. It isn’t. Thackley get back into it and deservedly equalise on 76.

The Damage:
£9 ent
£6.50 Birra Moretti
£5.50 pie and peas
= £21

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...